Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The List!

For some reason I feel that so long as it is reasonably possible to play through my board game collection over the course of the year I should do so--since I own about 40 games (not counting kids' or mainstream titles like Clue, Life, etc.) this is certainly an attainable goal, albeit one that I'll have to work at a little. I'll break this into two lists, first those games that I have never played, then those that I've played before, just not this year.

Never played:

  • Through the Ages
  • Chaos in the Old World


Not played this year:

  • For Sale
  • Alhambra
  • Neuroshima Hex!
  • Fury of Dracula
  • Scotland Yard
  • Puerto Rico
  • Caylus
  • Memoir '44
  • Blokus
  • Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Actually, that's not as bad as I had expected--only about a third of my entire collection has yet to hit the table, and the year is still young. The easy ones to get off the list will be the light multi-player games that I'm sure people will not mind trying--For Sale, Alhambra, Blokus, Scotland Yard. Also, I'm sure at least Dave and the Mrs. will be up for playing the heavier Eurogames--Caylus, Puerto Rico, Through the Ages (though I still need to fully learn the rules to this one...) Chaos in the Old World will come off the list as soon as I have a group of 3 or 4 willing to learn a new game, and Fury of Dracula will need one dedicated night and the right group of folks. The toughest ones might be the 2-player games that the Mrs. isn't clamoring to play: Lord of the Rings, Memoir '44, and Neuroshima Hex! I'm sure these games won't be that difficult to get to the table, but with so many other good titles in the mix and a number of group game nights (rather than 2 person sessions), they tend to be afterthoughts.

1 comment:

Dave said...

We must play Caylus repeatedly until you love it. I will also play Puerto Rico, though for some reason I find it much more bland.

I am interesting in learning Alhambra and Neuroshima Hex.

My games that I have played this year:

Boggle
Nexus Ops

My games that I have not played this year that I want to play:

Diplomacy
Poison
Ticket to Ride (1910)
Balderdash
Torres
Quoridor
Cuba
Pillars of the Earth
Vegas Showdown
Puerto Rico
Hare and Tortoise
Oltre Mare
Dungeonquest
Shogun
Lord of the Rings (co-op)
Filthy Rich
Blood Bowl
Axis and Allies

My games that I have not played but am less interested in playing:

Carcassone + expansions
Settlers + expansions
Lost Cities
Wooly Bully
221B Baker Street
Enchanted Forest
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Dao
Bang
Saboteur
Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation
Zombietown
Rocketville
Niagara
Scotland Yard
Ingenious
Formula De
Monsters Menace America
Thurn and Taxis
Power Grid
Around the World in 80 Days
Othello
Techno Witches
Mystery of the Abbey
Risk (LoTR)