Friday, March 20, 2009

Lego Board Games!

While browsing board game blogs this week I saw this post at the aka pastor guy blog. It references a Board Game News article about a series of forthcoming Lego board games. I'm shocked I hadn't noticed this at that site already.

The basic idea is that you will buy a Lego board game that needs to be fully constructed before play. Legendary game designer Reiner Knizia will be the brains behind the project, so, although the games might not be amazing, they should at least be playable. Certainly if such a big name wasn't designing the games my worry would be that these would be more toy and gimmick rather than decent board games.

Storage of the Lego board games would seem to be a complication. Presumably players would need to construct the board before every play, since I don't think I've ever seen a Lego set that could be placed back in the box fully constructed. Might this lead to far too much construction time for not nearly enough game?

Apparently these will only be released in Europe, so they'll have to be mail ordered. I will almost certainly buy one, and see how it plays. This is such a cool idea that if it is executed well there's no way I won't own them all!

No comments: